A Long Awaited Wedding | Part Deux! | A Mess In A Dress

Welcome back, wedding fans!

Where were we?  Oh yes, I was just giving you a step-by-step walkthrough of my Uncle’s fabulous wedding that I attended a couple of weeks ago.  If you missed the first post you can find it here, and you probably want to go and read that first (it includes the actual wedding, which is surely the most important part).

Even though the wedding took place in October, the weather held up nicely and we were able to go outside for the traditional drinks reception and official photographs.  While we were waiting we were served delicious canapés and a Winter Pimms/Mulled Wine combo that was to die for!  I wonder if I can replicate the recipe!

While the official photographer was working his magic, my dad (who is also a cracking photographer – he should go pro!) took a few photos of my immediate family.  Especially Moogle, who can never resist the opportunity to have a “photoshoot”.  I don’t normally like sharing photos of my girls, as there’s the whole internet security issue, but they looked so darn cute I can’t help but show you a few.

After some frolics in the gardens, it was time to head indoors for the wedding breakfast.  In a twist that I’ve heard about but never seen, the speeches came before the meal.  First up was my Dad, saying a few words about his brother-in-law.  I always love Dad’s speeches and could happily listen to him all day as he’s a very confident and amusing speaker, but his speech was short and sweet.  (I think he’d been given strict instructions about not saying anything too embarrassing!)

Next up was Kenny’s brother, who not only gave a lovely speech with some background on the happy couple but also performed a little magic show for the children.  Moogle got to be his glamorous assistant and she was blown away by his “mind-reading dog” trick.  It was all she could talk about for days after!

Finally Kenny gave a humorous but heartfelt speech about his wedding day.  He got quite emotional at times, and it was lovely to see a different side to him.  We’re always quite a jovial family and so are usually joking around.  It’s not often we let our guards down around each other.  Maybe people should do it more often…

I particularly liked the part of his speech where he’d explained how they decided which traditions to keep, and which to step away from.   Kenny quite rightly pointed out that you can’t really have bridesmaids without a bride and that there was no point trying to choose a best man when he had clearly already found his! (Awwwww!)

I’ve not really mentioned much about the fact that this was a same-sex wedding, as I don’t want that to be the main focus.  But the fact is that this was a wedding unlike any other I’ve been to.  It was mentioned a few times throughout the day that they probably would have done this years ago, if the opportunity had been there.

After all the talking, tears and toasts it was time for the food!  It was well worth the wait.  Everything was absolutely delicious and I was so full I could hardly manage the stunning trio of desserts. (Obviously I forced it down eventually – it would have been rude not to.)

The table names were all based around the grooms’ favourite movies.  Never liking to be conventional, they had produced a Blu-ray box for each of the guests.  The film that you had been given was the table you were going to sit at.  I was sat at the Titanic table with my sisters (and plus ones!), my Nanna and my little girls.  It was a lovely meal – even if the little ones did start to get a bit restless by the end and Bug chucked an entire glass of blackcurrent juice on the floor!

Also, inside the Blu-ray box were two pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.  When all the guests put their pieces together we created  a lovely picture of the newlyweds.  It was just another interesting touch that I hadn’t seen before.

With our tummies nicely filled it was party time!!! It took a little while for the venue to be reshuffled ready for the evening entertainment, so we went and sat in the lounge area, keeping ourselves occupied with the sweetie buffet!

To liven things up in the evening reception, my Uncles had hired a singer called Just Ben, who I had actually met once before at the Chatsworth Masquerade ball.  He performs a great mix of music, playing guitar and singing and we all had a great time on the dancefloor.

There was also a photo booth, provided by Snapcandy for people to mess about in, which was enjoyed by kids and grownups alike.  It was a great opportunity for everyone to get dressed up and have silly photos taken.  Baby Bug did become quite attached to one of the hats, which she wore for most of the evening.

Just in case you hadn’t eaten enough earlier in the day there were pork rolls, chips and mushy peas to be enjoyed as well as wedding cake (which I never got a slice of! – sigh)  The party was just getting started but the baby was getting tired.

Moogle was having an adventure and staying in one of the hotel rooms with her great-grandma.  Bug, on the other hand was coming home with me, so I bundled her up and said our goodbyes.  I would have liked to stay a little longer, but I suppose these are the trials of being a parent.

So there you have it.  One wedding, in all it’s fabulous glory.  I’m almost bound to have missed things – there were just so many beautiful little details that I could write a book and still not mention them all.

Congratulations Uncle Kevin and Kenny.  It may have taken a long time to come around, but I’m sure you agree it was more than worth the wait.  Here’s to many more years of (now official) marital bliss.

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge